Saturday, July 31, 2010

Truly A Surprise




Today is Saturday, July 31, 2010. The sun is rising, but hidden behind all of the clouds. Keeping my fingers crossed that they blow over this morning.

I have to tell you yesterday I had the wind taken out of my sails. Remember when I got my chickens that I didn't want a rooster, George wanted the rooster. My thinking was that for three bucks it was cheaper to purchase eight week old chicks, if we decided we wanted more chickens. Well, the day before yesterday while the girls and one dude were out in the yard, the "boss lady" was acting weird, just kind of irritable with the other chickens. I just thought it had to do with the weather being so hot. Really didn't think any more about it. Well let me tell you, it had nothing to do with the weather! Yesterday she was in the same "mood" only this time she pinned one of the other chickens down, she quickly escaped the grip minus a couple of feathers. This started to concern me that maybe I was going to have to separate her from the other ones. A couple of hours later I was taking a coffee break on the porch when I hear the little dude crowing away only there were two different crowing sounds.

I sat there a minute waiting to hear the crowing, sure enough it happened again. Off to investigate just what was going on. The dude was on one side of the coop and what I thought was the "boss lady" was on the other, she was crowing! So now the hen I thought was going to start laying first, because of her size, isn't going to be laying any eggs.

It all makes sense now looking back. No wonder "she" didn't take any stuff from him, "she" would stand "her" ground and ruffle those feathers when he would start. "She" was a little bigger than the other hens and suppose to be the same age. It just appeared that "she" was maturing faster than the others.

So now I am going to have to figure out what to do, can't have two roosters in the coop. Mama laughed so hard when I called her yesterday. Mama said are you sure, yes mama I grabbed him up and checked his legs, they have little nubs there. And his tail feathers are starting to drape down over his little butt. You know you can not have two roosters in the same hen house, yes mama I know. Want a rooster mama? Only if he is cleaned and frozen. ugh.....

Going to head over to Live Oak this morning to the farmers market and maybe even find a craft store. If it rains us out, there is a big thrift store there, you know where I'll be.

Wishing everyone a very blessed Lammas! Enjoy your weekend.

Remember yesterday, dream about tomorrow, but live today. ~Brightest Blessings~

9 comments:

  1. Good Morning Dede
    I love going to farmers markets they always have the best produce at ours. Good luck with your roosters.
    I hope you have a wonderful day!
    Hugs
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Poor Dede. .nothing ever just happens without a challenge for you, does it? But think of how dull life would be without all of these hiccups along the way.

    Maybe if you go back to the place where you got them, they would know of someone who needs a rooster. Maybe someone had an older one that has left this life. .or maybe you could donate one to a hobby farm where they have tame animals. .I do hope that you find a good home for whichever one you decide to part with. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning, Dede! Oh dear, you do have a problem. We had a rooster once, and honestly, he was AWFUL. lol! He attack my youngest kid (when he was only 2), and he attacked the cats, and even my big old golden retriever. I found a home for him at a local farm. They had chickens and roosters roaming all over the place. The guy that own the farm said, "Don't worry, they will work it out." lol! I felt bad, but he was an awful ill-tempered bully. I hope your two are nicer! xox Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dede,
    Animals are so much fun
    I just love all their little surprises
    very entertaining are they not!!!!!!
    Love and Hugs
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. how funny... a tough "lady" indeed.... I can just hear your mama laughing... off to the farmers market as you... take care and have a blessed lammas weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dede! I hope you find a home for him! Happy Lammas to you also. I'd love to have chickens and such but Mike has flash backs from his childhood raising chickens and goats. :) Becca

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uh oh!! Oh Dede, wouldn't you rather just have a sheep (I prefer you get a black one, I could use some black wool), okay, I'm running before I get something thrown at me, lol. LOL at mama, sounds like something my dad would have said to me.

    Good luck at the farmers market and the thrift store!!
    Happy weekend to you!!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know anything about chickens and roosters but that is really a funny story!

    ReplyDelete

It was nice of you to take time out of your busy day to stop by. Blessings to you and your family! (((HUGS)))