Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Gutter Gardens

Today is Wednesday, April 10, 2013.  It has be gorgeous! I mean just gorgeous!  It has been nice and warm with a breeze!  Loving this weather and sure hope it stays this way for awhile.  Have spent the last couple of days outside and if the weather stays this way, will be spending lots more time outdoors.

We went to Lowe's yesterday morning, these are the items that we bought.  I would love to work there, but I wouldn't make any money, the company would be taking it out in trade.  I love that store, truly a crafters warehouse!  Not to mention that they have these awesome classes to for little and big projects, what a tease they are.  So I thought that today I would share with you what I made yesterday and you too can make them.  They are really easy to make and you can use them in the country or in an apartment balcony. They are fun!

So here we go!  We are going to use one and if you decide you want to make more you will know what you need.

1     ten foot gutter                     18 small screws
6     gutter straps                        drill
3     left end caps                        dirt
3     right end caps                      flowers or seeds


Cut your gutter into the lengths that you want your pots to be, I cut mine in all different lengths.  After you have cut then the length that you want them to be, but the end caps on, I did this next because if you are using the metal ones they will be sharp.  Now using your drill drill a few holes in the bottom if you want drainage or you can use a few stones, oyster shells, marbles or whatever you may have handy.
It didn't say to put these small screws in the ends, however I put three into the ends of each, the back, bottom and the front to hold these caps on. This is showing the sealant, but I just didn't trust it.

 I placed a screw in the front
 One in the back and one in the bottom

Now you have your flower pot, do what you will with it.  Once you have it filled with your plants or seeds next to hook the straps on which is real quick no talent needed for this.

Flowers are planted, summer is here!



Okay good job so far, grab you a cold drink. Now we are to hanging them and this is really the easy part. Easy to hang, not easy to decide exactly where you want to hang them.


These gutter straps just clip in under the front lip and hook over the back side of the gutter, they come with the screw.  Now that you know where you want them hung grab an extra set of hands to hold the pot while you use the drill to screw these beautiful creations of yours to the fence or whatever you are going to attach them to.

I used two straps to a planter.  The longest is four feet and it is holding pretty good.
This is showing on the hung on the slats facing in, hung on the slats.
This one is showing hung on the outside.  My plans are to make more and hang different sizes and colors. I do believe that spray paint will work wonderfully on the metal ones.  I am betting that you can grow a great herb garden too, these aren't just for flowers. 

I think since mom doesn't have a fence, she does have a wooden handrail at her place that these just might be a couple in her future and she doesn't even know it.  She came back around to my way of thinking with the cable so now they are hooking it back up today.  Still shaking my head over that on with her, I do love her, she is my mama.

Get outside and do something, anything will do!

~Remember yesterday, dream about tomorrow, but live today!~ Brightest Blessing~

12 comments:

  1. Those little gardens are gorgeous. Great idea. Now I am missing having a backyard available to me.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that if you looked you could find a place to hang one or two of these. My goal is to have a fence full of them in different colors.

      (((HUGS)))

      Delete
  2. I love this idea! We have plans to build a cabin on some property we just purchased and these would be great under the windows. :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne this was so easy to do! What you could do with these are just endless! So happy for you that you have purchased land! I can't wait to see what you create!

      (((HUGS)))

      Delete
  3. A fence full of these is going to be amazing! They are so pretty! By the way, the cookies of the previous post are mouth watering!!! Yum!
    Have a wonderful day full of joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgina you know how sometimes you do or make something that you really amaze yourself with? These are one of those things! I love them and with son #5 now working installing gutters and siding, I get first dibs on the leftovers and they install different color ones. I am thinking about painting the fence in all different colors instead of all white. But I would have to get some help with that and I am thinking well, that just isn't going to happen.

      (((HUGS)))

      Delete
  4. These are wonderful, Dede! You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen I have to say that when I had read that you had cleaned out "that" drawer, you had inspired me to do the same. However, it has not happened yet......hanging head.....

      (((HUGS)))

      Delete
  5. Hi Dede oh I love the gutter gardens! Love that it's warm where you are. Burr still u p her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becca I seen where you were getting snow again. That is just so crazy for the middle of April. However it is raining here again today.....

      (((HUGS)))

      Delete
  6. Hi Dede - just checking in. Missing you! Also - want you to be aware that your Twitter account appears to have been hacked. You may want to get over there & change your password right away! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dede - just checking in - miss you! I also wanted to let you know that it appears that your Twitter has been hacked. You may want to head over there & change your password! xoxo

    Jen
    Rue & Hyssop

    ReplyDelete

It was nice of you to take time out of your busy day to stop by. Blessings to you and your family! (((HUGS)))